Road tripping with that many kids seems daunting, especially with the little guys. So, I've compiled a list of things I use to survive the adventure.
1. We always plan to our drive around naps/sleep times. Sleeping children make the process so much easier. And quiet. It is so much easier on everyone. Our little one usually takes a nap in the morning and in the afternoon. Tuesday, we skipped the early nap and left at 11:00 so she would take one looooong nap in the car. It totally worked.
2. Plan extra time into your itinerary. Someone is always going to need to eat, go potty or change the shirt they just spilled Slurpee down. This provides the perfect opportunity to let the kids walk around. Just be warned, some kids are even more mad when you put them back in the car. Like my daughter. My dad always kept stops to a minimum. We only stopped when we needed to get gas. While not the easiest way to travel, I will admit that it got us to our destination faster.
3. Pack treats and a flat of water. You can usually pick up a flat at Costco for a decent price. Before you leave, stick half in the refrigerator and half in the freezer. This will provide cold water for hours and minimize the number of times you need to stop. For treats, I find it is easiest for each kid to have their own bowl to parcel out things like Pirate Booty and Doritos. I also like prepackaged treats. That way I don't have to hear my son yell that his sister is eating all of the fruit snacks.
4. Two Words: Barf Bag. We have also been known to use a Big Gulp cup. I don't think anything else needs to be said on this topic.
5. Electronics. I know that not everyone agrees with handing their kids electronics on a drive. I've heard the arguments — it is a time for conversation, look at the scenery, spend time as a family. These are all great points. We try to hold off handing over a DS or iPad for as long as possible. However, my four year old has no interest in repetitive scenery in the middle of Nebraska. I know this because I had no interest in it the last time I drove across Nebraska and I was 31. If you have it, I wouldn't be too concerned about using it.
6. Pay careful attention to how you pack the car. Everything you need should be within easy reach of the co-captain, otherwise known as the keeper of snacks, drinks, electronics and toys. There is nothing worse than a toddler crying for a blanket packed deep in a suitcase.
7. Get a good night rest the night before you leave. This is hard especially for parents because it seems like you are always up late packing. It is dangerous to drive drowsy. It is also dangerous for overly-tired parents to be in a car with crabby children.
8. Books and new games. Anything new and/or novel is going to keep kids busy longer.
9. Take breaks from electronics. Don't you like how I change my mind? Our son is particularly fond of "I Spy". He practically plays all by himself. When I was young, we took a trip to Sequoia National Park. Our goal for the trip was to find license plates from all 50 states. We had a great time and it kept us entertained for hours. Spend this time to get to know your kids a little better. It is amazing the things they will say when they have a captive audience. And I do mean captive.
10. Provide kid-friendly media. This can be movies or music. My kids listen to a lot of Kidz Bop. My parents had an extensive collection of the "Wee Sing" series. Would you like for me to sing the official songs of the United States Army or the Marines? I totally can. On a side note, thanks to my dad, I can also sing most of the Beach Boy catalog.
In conclusion, I will just say, "Enjoy the ride." Someday this opportunity to trap your children in a car with you will be gone.
Sam was so little! And Dad would stop for emergency potty breaks, but it usually entailed popping a squat off the side of the highway. Good times traveling with the family.
ReplyDeleteThis is a fantastic idea!!! The leggings are darling. I think we might be picking up a striped pair in the very new future!
ReplyDelete