Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Old Fashion Black and White Soda

Black & White Soda

 

I am a huge fan of old fashion soda fountains. They combine three of my favorite things: soda and ice cream and nostalgia. When we decided on the theme for the week, I thought it might be fun to share a recipe for a nostalgic beverage.

Black and White sodas are also known as "egg creams". According to Wikipedia, they were exclusive to soda fountains as they could never be bottled effectively. An egg cream contains soda, milk and either vanilla or chocolate syrup. It does not contain eggs or cream. For our purposes today, we went with chocolate syrup.

The kids and I are still on vacation so Ben's mom, Granny, was my recipe tester this morning. She only wanted a "little bit" and then "maybe a little bit more". Her verdict: "I would definitely serve this at a party." How fun would that be?! An old fashion soda fountain at a wedding or birthday party? I'm thinking we may need to explore this option.

Just a little advice. Make sure your club soda is cold. This makes a big difference in the final product. Also, part of the charm of this drink is in the layers that form during preparation. Make sure you add ingredients in the proper order and then be sure to check them out before you slurp it down!

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:30]

1 comment:

  1. [...] with black and white outfit ideas, and in case you missed it, be sure to check out Tracey’s black and white soda from [...]

    ReplyDelete