Monday, July 29, 2013

A Letter to My 23-yr-old Self.

A letter to my 23 yr old self

Dear 23-year-old self,

Hey there missy!  How's it going? I just thought I'd drop you a quick note. First of all, I want to tell you, congratulations on the awesome life you are going to have.  I'm not going into detail because I don't want to ruin the surprise. But really, in the midst of all this 20-something angst, just remember, your thirties are going to be pretty fantastic. In fact, just get through the next couple of years and you will be A-OK.

So. Back to the reason for my letter. I was staying at Mom's last week and I was talking to our sister Beth. Yes, Beth, our 12-year-old sister. Anywho . . . we were talking about dating, school, roommates and such and I got to thinking about you. You are in the middle of one heck of a time aren't you?  We don't have to go into the gory details. I was there, remember?  I totally get what is going on. I thought you could use some unsolicited advice right now. Since I am you, I know you probably think you have it under control but I thought I'd toss some out there anyway. So here we go.

1. Give yourself a break. Over the next couple of years you are going to make some fairly lame decisions. (Seriously, no matter what that boy says, dying your hair black is NOT a good idea.  Really.) However, despite the lameness, you are going to figure things out, re-prioritize and end up with a booty-kicking life. Try to remember your end goals; degree, happy marriage, children, financial security, etc  While making decisions try to visualize how they will contribute to these goals. If you go off path, that's ok. You can ALWAYS change course to get back. Just remember the road might be a little rougher.

2. Be willing to listen to your gut. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. If you have to hide it, don't do it  If you are doing it to make someone else happy, don't do it.  And most of all, if it gives you a sick (I said sick, not nervous) feeling in the pit of your stomach, DON'T DO IT.

3. You only live once. Your future husband hates this phrase. If I were to call him and say "YOLO" to him right now, he'd probably hang up on me. But for real, embrace life. Take opportunities. Travel. Have fun. Build relationships. Don't be afraid to have your heart broken. All of these things are just experiences that will mold you. And that cute guy from work that is always flirting with you?  You know the one. Just go for it. I promise you, it is going to be fun.

4. Money in the wallet is better than money in the closet  I'm not saying don't indulge every once in awhile. I'm just saying, maybe think ahead, oh, like a week, to when your rent is going to be due. We both know telling Mom we need some money is NOT a pleasant experience. Just put the sweater down. Oh! And buying groceries at Chevron on your gas card is a bad idea.

5. Go to class. What's that?  You are only about one semester from graduating?  Then why does it take you another four years to do it?  Hmmmm?  Yes, I know parking is lame at school and you have to climb about a billion stairs to get to class but you are young. Just go already. This will save you a lot of anxiety  and hassle. It'll also provide you more opportunities. Stop being lazy. Buy a parking pass  Go to class. Also, have you thought of taking a photography class?  Just an idea . . .

6. Try harder at work. While socializing at work is super fun and you are going to make some fantastic friends there, you are there to work.  Work hard and it'll pay off.  Slack and you're going to have, you guessed it, anxiety. Also, just be on time for heaven's sake. Yeesh.

7. Be forgiving but cut your losses. Holding a grudge never helped anyone. Confront issues head-on. Letting them simmer is going to cause anxiety  Are you picking up on a theme here? Try to fix the mistakes you make. Forgive others for the mistakes they make. Toxic relationships don't do you any good. If you can't fix it, let it go. Point #2 can definitely be applied to relationships.

8. Exercise. Please. For your 34-year-old self struggling to be healthy. Help a sister out  Oh, and maybe cut back on the Wendy's a little bit. Thanks.

9. Listen to your parents. They love you. They don't quite understand you right now but they understand the ramifications of some of your choices. When they don't seem super excited about a boy that you bring home, there might be a reason. I can promise you they are going to love your husband. Also, remember, they are human and have their own stuff to deal with.

10. Finally, stop buying CD's. Just go get an iPod already. And maybe invest in Google, Apple and Facebook.

Alright, that's it for now. I have to go take care of an undisclosed number of children and work off an undisclosed number of pounds. See Point #8. Keep your chin up!  Your time is just around the corner.

 

Love you!


Tracey (Age 34)

No comments:

Post a Comment