Friday, July 12, 2013

How to Wear A Maxi Skirt

I've been asked several times over the past couple of weeks, "How do you wear a maxi skirt?" And since "Hanging from my hips" isn't so much an appropriate answer, I've put together a quick guide with some ideas for how to wear a maxi skirt.

Let it be known, I own 5 maxi skirts and 1 maxi dress. I love me a good maxi. They are so comfortable. They are so trendy. They are so versatile. I mean, really. You can wear them with just about anything. And you can wear them all year round and be comfortable no matter what the weather may or may not be doing. Here are the maxis I own (not pictured is the grey one.. it was unavailable for photographing as it has a date with my washer this weekend).

How to Wear a Maxi Skirt


I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I love my maxis. I love that I can throw them on when I'm too lazy to shave, or when I want to feel like I'm wearing something akin in comfort level to pajamas, but still look classy and put together. Insert appropriate Pinterest meme here:

maxi

Below is the guide I put together to answer the question of how to wear a maxi skirt, but it only showcases the grey and black skirts. Remember, as you are looking at this and as you are trying to decide how to wear your own maxi skirts/dresses, that you can mix and match them any way you see fit. Mix colors. Mix patterns. Play around. And just remember, it's OK to take risks, but wear what makes you comfortable!

Summer Maxis


To summer-ize your maxi skirts, wear short sleeves with it. Play with trends like neon or patterns. Wear a cute lace or peplum top with it. Crop tops are super cute with maxi skirts, or even over a maxi dress if you don't like showing tummy skin.

To dress your maxi skirts up a bit, wear a button down shirt with a cute pattern. You could even add a cardigan or blazer over the button up.

Fall and Winter Maxis


To fall-ize or winter-ize your skirts, wear layers. A cute denim vest, denim jacket, or chambray top layered over a t-shirt is a great way to add an extra layer of warmth and still look fashionable. Wear the chambray by itself, tucked into the skirt. It looks great! I am a huge fan of cardigans and I wear them all the time. Wear a plain cardi over a patterned shirt or vice versa. Or even wear a plain cardi over a plain shirt. Go crazy! Try the shirt untucked, or tucked into the skirt and add a belt.

One of my favorite looks right now are blazers. They are trendy, classy, and just about anyone can pull them off. Pair a blazer (patterned or not) with a graphic tee for a more fun/casual look, or a plain button up or blouse for a more professional/formal look.

Accessorize Your Maxi


And always remember to accessorize. Accessories are your friends. Wear a necklace, a watch, a bracelet. Add a belt, thick or thin, over the maxi skirt or over your shirt. Add a cute hat or a fun pop of lip color. And try different shoes. I love wearing flats or sandals with my maxis, but heels work too. Just have fun with it!

How to Wear A Maxi Skirt


How to Wear a Maxi Skirt


And if you didn't get enough inspiration from this post, just hop on Pinterest (<< look, I made it easy for you) and search "maxi skirt"—there's enough inspiration there to last you several weeks worth of maxi outfit goodness.

Here are some pictures from of times I wore my maxi dress, my orange maxi, and my striped maxi—all three were worn in the summer. When I wear them in winter, I just add a cardigan or blazer over the top.

How to Wear a Maxi Skirt How to Wear a Maxi Skirt How to Wear a Maxi Skirt

2 comments:

  1. Yusssssss on the first Erika photo in the blue colored maxi dress., Holla for cruising together! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] we got a pretty big response from the maxi post I did a while back. So, Tracey and I said to ourselves, why not give the people what they want and […]

    ReplyDelete