Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Starbucks: It's Not ALL Coffee!

I remember my first time at Starbucks. I was about 16 (so, last year, right?) and my cousin and I were hanging out with our aunt. And my aunt was telling us about how good Starbucks is, and "let's go there and get us a treat!" And I was concerned because isn't Starbucks a coffee place? and I don't drink coffee. But she assured me they had non-coffee drinks too. So, tepidly, I hopped into her car and together the three of us went to Starbucks. And when we got there, I just stared at the menu board with wide, unknowing, overwhelmed, naive eyes. Latte, Frappucino, Espresso, Macchiato, Mocha, Cappuccino. Was I even still in America? Those were not English words. Sure, I'd heard some of them before, but what did they all mean??

So, I did my best to collect myself and my aunt helped me pick out the non-coffee treat that sounded most appetizing. The Vanilla Bean Frappucino. You guys. My first sip and I knew — I just knew — my life would never, ever be the same. It was just delectable. How could something so plain (I mean, it's just vanilla ice cream, for goodness sake) be so darn delicious?! To this day, I really don't know.

Since that first Vanilla Bean Frappucino, I have taken it upon myself to find out just how tasty the rest of Starbucks' non-coffee menu is. And I am here today to let you know that it's just as good as that first Vanilla Bean Frappe (I'm pretty much professional now, so I get to abbreviate—jokes, guys... just jokes). So, without further ado, here is "Your Guide to Delicious Caffeine-Free Beverages from the World's Most Caffeinated Beverage Shop". Because, who doesn't love spending $3.50 for 8 oz. of hot chocolate!

A few disclaimers:

*All images used are from the Starbucks website. I would've taken my own pictures, but I don't have the patience to be a food photographer, which I found out when I attempted to photograph my homemade lemonade.

**Also, you should know, not all of these drinks are totally caffeine-free. The hot chocolate has a little bit of caffeine in it (it's old news, but chocolate has caffeine in it).  All drinks in this guide, however, ARE free of coffee.

Starbucks

Cold Beverages

Passion Teas - The iced versions are both "an infusion of hibiscus and natural tropical flavors." They are a caffeine-free, lightly sweetened, refreshing way to stay cool through beverage on a hot summer day. If you prefer your teas hot, get the brewed version. I can't say I've ever had it brewed but if it's as good as the iced or lemonade versions, then I know it's a winner! Starbucks describes it as "hibiscus, lemongrass, rose hips, mango and passion fruit." How can any of those flavors be wrong?

Frappucinos - My first Starbucks love... I have never met a Starbucks frappe I didn't like. All of these are amazing: Vanilla bean, double chocolaty chip, cinnamon dolce crème, caramel ribbon crunch crème, and strawberries and crème. I dare you to read the descriptions on any of those bad boys and not have to try every single one. They are all delicious. I love getting the Vanilla bean and adding caramel drizzle and whipped cream on it. So much delectableness in one drink. And how do you know you're getting a coffee-free version? Any of the frappes that are crème-based are made with milk instead of coffee. (Again, the chocolate version has a bit of caffeine in it.) And if it's just coffee you're opposed to, and not necessarily the caffeine, maybe try one of these. We cannot be held responsible if you go into a sugar-induced coma, but we do pretty much promise you it'll be worth it.

Smoothies and Sodas — The sodas are still in the testing stages, being piloted in Austin and Atlanta. Lucky for us, we have two Austin-resident authors on this blog, so Tracey graciously volunteered to try the sodas out. Here are her words: "I like the root beer the best.  It has Chai spices so it has a fun little addition of cinnamon and nutmeg. I would totally get it again. The Ginger Ale is good... it is a little bitter but all in all refreshing. The Lemon Ale has a hint of apricot... it has a nice lemon flavor without being tart. It hasn't given me heartburn and that is always a plus." So, I guess, we at OUO are fans. Hopefully they decide to roll these out in Starbucks across the land so we can all taste them! And of course, the smoothies are always a delicious choice.

Hot Beverages

Milk-Based Hot Drinks — Some of my absolute favorite Starbucks beverages are the hot ones, which I guess makes sense, right? Because, after all, it is a coffee house. So, I discussed the milk-based frappes above. But the milk-based hot drinks are just as good! The hot chocolate is so good, especially if you get a shot of hazelnut or caramel. Now, if you're like me and you aren't a huge fan of chocolate, fear not! The steamers and white hot chocolate are my to-die-for favorites. A steamer is just steamed milk, but if you get a shot or two of vanilla (or any flavor for that matter), it's seriously an amazing little treat. Top it off with some whipped cream and caramel drizzle. And white hot chocolate, because, just why not?!

Fall Drinks — How excited are you for fall? I mean, I love me my summer months, but fall is just the greatest. Holidays and cute sweaters and boots and a chill in the air and my birthday and Christmas music and shopping and all the good food and so on and so on and so on. And Starbucks really just makes fall that much better with its apple drinks and pumpkin drinks. Honestly, if you haven't had them yet, just take my word for it. As soon as October hits, you get your booty over to your nearest Starbucks and get you one or the other. Or both. (And if you don't want the coffee version of the pumpkin one, just ask for the Pumpkin Spice steamer). And once you have your fall drinks in hand, you can come back and thank me.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm... Starbucks! I worked that for 5 years and definitely had my fair share of deliciousness! If you are at all trying to keep your weight in check, I do not recommend working there! If you want to try some new gems, try a venti, 4 pump raspberry, passion tea lemonade. If they ask, the raspberry is INSTEAD of the classic. A venti normally comes with 6 pumps, so if you want a smaller size, adjust accordingly. Another favorite of mine was peppermint (or whatever type of mint they carry now) double chocolate chip cream frappucino (as they were called back in my day before they changed the silly name)

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] the Starbucks gift card. Now I know some of you don’t drink coffee, but fear not! Remember this post? And have you tried the pumpkin flavored drinks yet? I, myself, don’t drink coffee so I […]

    ReplyDelete