Monday, June 17, 2013

Dirty Little Secrets — Movie Loves



 

 

 

 

 

 

First of all, yes. Yes we did just begin a post with a definition. Probably every English teacher in America is cringing and all the greats of writing are turning over in their graves right now. But, second of all, don't judge us for it: we did it because it's important to our cause this week. Or rather, it's our theme. This week, we are discussing all things "dirty". Now, before you go and get your panties in a bunch, let us assure you... this is still a "family-friendly" blog. And all our topics will be such. And trust us, they are great topics — you won't want to miss a single post!

Today, we are talking about our dirty-little-secret movie loves. We each have picked two movies to keep it "short", but rest assured that our lists are impossibly long — there are just so many amazing movies available for viewing. We love us some good cinematic adventures.

MovieLoves



Tracey's Dirty-Secret Movies

1) 17 Again — So I should probably start off by saying that the cast alone is enough to make me love this movie. Zac Efron, Matthew Perry AND Scarlett Mann? Yup, I'm going to love it. Second,  it is a do-over movie in that Matthew Perry's character gets to be 17 again and reassess his life. Who doesn't love a do-over/live-in-the-future movie?! This category includes some of my other guilty pleasure movies including Big, Freaky Friday, 13 Going on 30, The Kid, Back to the Future and Never Been Kissed. Plus, the soundtrack includes "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins. Talk about the perfect movie song.

2) Sweet Home Alabama — If this movie is on, you better believe I'm going to stop and watch it. Reese Witherspoon is at her absolute cutest in this movie. Every time I watch it I think I need to cut my hair short. It is cheesy and predictable, but it delivers everything anyone desires in a chick-flick: comedy, romance, and a happy ending. Not to mention, this movie has the greatest quote of all time. "Look at you, you have a baby... in a bar."

Tracey's Honorable Mentions:
Runaway Bride
The Fast and the Furios
One Fine Day
Grease 2
Sky High
Miss Congeniality
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
Bad Boys
Independence Day
Twister
My Best Friend's Wedding
Mean Girls
Freaky Friday
Never Been Kissed
50 First Dates

Sarah's Dirty-Secret Movies

1) Stepsister from Planet Weird — I gotta be honest: I looked up the Wikipedia page for Disney Channel Original Movies, and I more than kinda want to do an entire post dedicated to them. Sure, everybody knows/loves/hates High School Musical. But remember Zenon?! And how everyone in the future was supposed to be driving Volkswagen Beetles? I could hardly pick which one was my pleasantest of guilty pleasures; Suzy Q had the Pink Ranger after all, and Wish Upon a Star is everything late-90s fashion should be. And while I love Smart House - but who doesn't? That nonsense is dope - I had to come back to my perennial favorite: Stepsister from Planet Weird. There's next to no plot - something about saving a bubble planet and a wedding - but there is plenty of corny melodrama, cute boys with odd accents, and the argument that Earth is a great place because it has "fully 18 flavors of potato chips". Classic. Classic.

PS -  If you feel the same way I do, or rather, if you are my sister, have I got a gem for you. There's a Henry Feagins fan club you can join! He's in the movie (one of his four IMDB credits, FYI). The fan site is hosted by none other than angelfire, and it has had exactly 757 visitors.  F'reals. It's like traveling back in time to visit my 11 year old self. Check it: http://www.angelfire.com/movies/henryfeaginsfanclub/

2) Kal Ho Naa Ho — Bollywood. That's all that needs to be said here. But don't worry, I'm about to say more, because this one has a little back story. While in college, I happened to be reading a forum discussion about great songs to dance to. The song "Maahi Ve" was suggested, and I looked it up right quick (and you can too, just follow the link!) It wasn't long before my roommates and I were bopping around our apartment to it at just about every "study" break.  We knew very little about the movie that the song was from, and just as little about Bollywood movies in general, but eventually curiosity got the better of us and we bought a copy, because those were the dark days before Netflix came into my life. And guess what we found out? This movie is THREE HOURS long. Apparently, this is typical for Bollywood flicks. Intimidated, we set it aside until a very, very late night of (Mormon) revelry. We figured we could start it and pause it when we got too tired. Guess who stayed up until the wee hours of the morning, crying and laughing and yelling at the television and shaking our white girl shoulders to the music? It's like that moment when you realize you've just eaten an extra large order of fries by yourself; Kal Ho Naa Ho just packs in so much entertainment you barely notice the time passing.

Sarah's Honorable Mentions:
Take a Chance
Drive Me Crazy
The Cave
Pretty much everything Tyler Perry has presented
Dumb and Dumber

Erika's Dirty-Secret Movies

1) Stick It — I want to start with a bit of a disclaimer that when it comes to movies, I am an open book. I can't think of any movies that I'm ashamed to claim to love. So this particular blog post for me isn't so much about my "secret" movie loves, but more about movies that I luuuhve that I think are severely underrated. And Stick It is just that. If you haven't seen it, you are really missing out. I am a firm believer that the sign of a really great movie is how many one-liners you can get out of it (Dumb and Dumber.  I mean.) And Stick It is full of those one-liners. It's juvenile delinquency and gymnastics and all things sass all rolled into one. PLUS, Jeff Bridges! Need I say more? I think that just about covers it.

2) Calamity Jane — To be honest I haven’t watched this movie since I was just a girl, because I only have it on VHS but no VCR (insert #FirstWorldProblems or #21stCenturyProblems here), but it’s just such a great movie. It’s a classic western, with singing. And dancing. And Doris Day. And I’ve heard (via Google) that it’s loosely based off a real woman, whose claim to fame is for “fightin’ injuns”.  Wow.

Erika's Honorable Mentions:
Titanic
Wild Hearts Can't be Broken
Hot Rod
A Little Princess
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The Holiday
Heavyweights
Twister
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Any musical. And I mean, any. Rogers and Hammerstein, really.

1 comment:

  1. No Twilight? I expected more from you Tracy. ;)

    ReplyDelete