
My dad is pretty great. I know, I know. You all probably have pretty great dads. But, I mean, really. My dad takes the cake as far as great dads go. For example. In my growing up years, almost every single night my dad would tickle my back (to this day, one of my favorite things) and sing lullabies or his favorite songs to help me fall sleep. To some of you (my husband included), this might sound kinda cheesy. And though cheesy it may be, those moments were the highlight of my day a lot of times. "
Puff the Magic Dragon", "
Feelin' Groovy", "
Lemon Tree", and "
Pooh Corner" were juuuuust a very few of my favorites. The "
Chocolate Ice Cream Cone" song
alwaaaaays made me tear up (
that pooooor kid)! If it was ever raining (which wasn't very often since I grew up in Arizona), dad would sing "
It's Rainin' Again". If he was going out of town, "
I'm Leavin' on a Jet Plane". Seriously. Some of my very best memories.
My dad traveled every so often for work, and it was always bittersweet when he'd sing the "Jet Plane" song the night before a trip—sad because he'd be leaving for who-knew-how-long, but awesome because when he came back he'd have treats/presents! Some of my coolest gifts came from dad's business trips. One time he brought back a yard stick of bubble gum. Yes. An entire yard of bubble gum. When you're 8, that's
a looooot of bubble gum. One time he brought back the biggest bubble maker I'd ever seen! (It was similar to
this and we loved it!) Another time, he brought back these cool little
eagles that balanced just about anywhere by their noses. Again... when you're 8 and living in the 90s, that's a pretty sweet thing to get. When I was older, he brought me a beautiful, handmade, jewelry box from a trip to an African country. I still have it!
Now that I'm older, I'm beginning to understand just how special my dad is. I mean, I knew that when I was young too, but now I realize it for different reasons. I understand a little better the sacrifices he made for us. I am beginning to realize the amount of love and dedication he put into helping my mom raise and support our family. And I will be eternally grateful for the example that my dad was and still is to me of all things in this world that are good and worthwhile.
And so, to celebrate my
pretty great really incredible dad this Sunday, I got him a pretty great gift, if I do say so myself. In the interest of not spoiling the surprise, I'm not going to disclosure what I got him on these here interwebs. But I'm excited for him to receive said gift come Sunday. And for those of you who haven't had time or money yet to get your really incredible dads a gift, we've got your back! Here are some free printables just for you. They can be customized if you'd like them to be. For example, if you'd like a different color combination, just let us know! Or, if for some weird reason you'd rather use a picture of you and your own dad, instead of the picture of
my dad and me or the picture of
Tracey's son and his dad, just send me an email with your picture and I'll switch it out for you—you can find our emails on our
About Us page.
And Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there—I'm sure you deserve it, and then some!
No comments:
Post a Comment