Without teachers, I literally would not be here. My Grandma Dannelly was a High School English teacher. Obviously, the fact that she birthed my father is pretty monumental. Even more importantly, my mom was her yearbook editor in high school. When Grandma decided my dad needed to date a nice girl, she put my mom in his path. The rest is history.
Grandma introduced me to Mercer Mayer as a child. This translated into a love of books and reading. As I got older, she expanded my library In Middle School I could always count on Grandma to buy me the newest Babysitter's Club book or introduce me to classics like Where the Red Fern Grows. As I became an adult, she was always good for a bag of used romance novels to take home. She encouraged a love of music and always requested a performance of whatever piano piece I happened to be learning. She taught us in the kitchen and still sends me copies of cookbooks that she thinks I might enjoy. Grandma undeniably will always be my very favorite teacher. (Followed closely by my sweet elementary teaching mother-in-law.)
In elementary school I was enrolled in the gifted program. My teacher was Mrs. Nancy Gasho. Thanks to her, I wrote my first "paper" in third grade. It was about England. I used an encyclopedia and my mom typed the entire thing for me. She took us on an trip Dana Point, CA where we spent the night as the "crew" of a tall ship. In fifth grade, we were tasked with making our own civilization. When we were done, we went to Mount Charleston outside of Las Vegas for our own archaeological dig. From her I learned about photography and how to develop photos in a real dark room. Who knew at the age of 10 that I would one day have my own photography business. Most of all, she taught us to be creative and resourceful. If anyone in the Las Vegas happens to know Mrs. Gasho, please give her a giant hug from Tracey Dannelly.
In words of Ms. Laura, "Peace out. Holla. Word to your mother."
I have to say that 5 years ago, we had the same experience with Ms. Laura and her crew. She got our boy up and running, risk taking and friend making. Now at 9 years old, he is still moving right along. Those days with Ms. Laura were a while ago, but because of her, we were given a new hope for our son that has carried on even today. She's got it going on! I'm so glad wrote about her. (and Ms, Cory too! She's awesome!)
ReplyDeleteI have been blessed to know Ms. Laura from birth on as the first baby to enter our family since my birth. I call her niece, friend, sister (we are only 1;6 years apart) and role model. My genuine pride in her is well placed. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with her and she diligently works to bring the best out in each child, both at school and at home as a mother. And thank you for your appreciation of all the teachers in your life!
ReplyDelete