I love boots. And from reading the responses on some of our recent fall posts, most people love boots the most about fall! Most times when I try to wear boots, my ankles or my calves just slosh around inside, like putting a single rose inside large vase. Or like a straw in a 32 oz cup without a lid to hold it in place. It's not cute, I tell you.
But! I have solutions. And I want to share them with my fellow skinny-legged friends out there who also struggle with the dilemma of loving boots.
Uggs — Here's the thing. I know a lot of people who have very strong feelings about Uggs. And a lot of those feelings aren't great. I get it... they're not the most beautiful of boots. But they are comfortable and warm and very practical in snowy weather, I have found. Which I guess is kind of the point of boots, isn't it? So, since I love my Uggs and because they are as practical and comfortable and warm as a man should be, I am going to include them on my list. When I first started shopping around for a pair of boots like Uggs, I was looking in places like Target and Costco. Because, budget. I didn't want to spend the ridiculous amount that Uggs cost on a pair of boots that aren't all that cute anyway and that was more than likely going to get ruined in the snow.
But what I found was, as a skinny-calved shopper, that the Target and Costco brands really aren't made as well. And by that, I mean, the fur lining isn't as thick and the boots are much wider as actual Uggs. That is a no-go for a skinny-calver like me. So, I splurged and got me some real-life Uggs and I have been so happy!
So, solution #1 = splurge on the brand name.
Solution #2 = Socks! Of the thick and knee-high variety.
Ankle boots/booties — Super trendy right now. And I love the way they look! I bought myself a pair of ankle boots last season (when I found them on super sale at Forever 21, shhh with my secrets!) and it was really love at first sight. But when I got home and tried them on, the opening was just too big for my ankles and I couldn't make them look good. The best way I have found to make my ankles look not so ridiculous in the wide opening is to avoid skinny jeans when I wear them, and wear something like boyfriend jeans instead. And cuff the jeans so the bottom of your jeans just barely hits the top of the shoe. It sort of works to hide the fact that your ankles are hangin' out all willy nilly somewhere inside those jeans and wide boots.
Solution #3 = Boyfriend/baggier jeans, cuffed.
Side note, I may or may not still feel a little bit ridiculous in these when I wear them, but I get compliments on them every time. So definitely, invest in some ankle boots. Odds are people will love your trendy boots so much they won't even notice your tiny ankles.
Knee-high boots — Ah, my first love. I remember the first pair of boots I had. They were knee-highs. They were tie-up and had some fur on 'em. They were totally 2005, but I loved them! Thankfully, knee-high boot fashion has come a long way since then.
There are tons of styles of knee-high boots to choose from, but I have riding-style boots, so that's what I'm focusing on here. Shopping for knee-highs can be pretty intimidating if you have skinny calves, but don't give up! I found these amazing knee-high boots that have a slit in the back, so it's like the boot is saying, "Look at me, I am made to look wider at the top which gives you an excuse to wear them with your skinny calves!"
Solution #4 = Get boots that give a good excuse to have skinny legs, like a slit in the back. If all else fails, see Solution #2 and just add knee-high socks.
Rain boots — I think rain boots might be the worst boot for us skinny-calved folk. For years, I was afraid of buying and/or wearing a pair of rain boots because of how ridiculous I thought I looked in them. Then, I found a pair of slim-fit Hunters. And my life has never been the same. They literally hug my calves! They are perfect. They're so good I can't even think of anything else to say about them.
Solution #5 = Find boots that have "slim" in the name. Solution #1 also applies here (I had to get brand name Hunter Wellies to get the exact fit I wanted).
I forgot to take a picture of them for the post, so you get just a random picture of me wearing them.
Combat boots — I have several ways of wearing combat boots. 1) Laced only halfway up, with socks. 2) Laced halfway up, with cuffed jeans. 3) Laced all the way up, with cuffed jeans. 4) Laced all the way up, with jeans tucked in. 5) (Not pictured) Laced all the way up, with socks.
The beauty of the combat boots is that you can wear them sooo many ways and no one will ever be able to tell you have the skinny calf. It's brilliant. I have combats in black and brown because I love them so much.
So, solution #6 is just = Combat Boots! Mixed with all the other solutions already written :)
Hello,
ReplyDeleteI am so happy I found this article on your page! I have skinny calves and hate how hard it is to find boots! Can you tell me more about your hunter boots? I'm looking to buy a pair but don't see any slim fit ones anywhere!
Thank you! :)
Joanne
Hey Joanne! So glad you like the post :) I found my slim-fit Hunter boots at Nordstrom. If you're having a hard time finding any, here are a few tips that might help you if you want to try a "normal" pair of Hunters. 1) A lot of Hunter boots have a slanted opening. That helps give the allusion that they fit better around your skinny calves, as opposed to the flat opening, which makes it easier to see if your calf doesn't completely fill the boot. 2) Get a pair of Hunter Fleece Welly socks to pair with your boots. When I'm in doubt in any boot situation, I just add socks for some extra thickness. I hope that helps! Happy New Year :)
ReplyDeleteI recently bought riding boots online, and im having the same issue because of my skinny calves, they look terrible on me. I tried layering under my jeans as well, which still didnt help. I'll try them with knee high socks or leg warmers, but otherwise i might have to return them.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this blog/article! I "suffer" from skinny calves also and this has helped so much. Now that I know hunters make a slim version I am def going to nordstroms. What is the brand name of the riding boot you have pictures also? No brand was mentioned! Thanks again for taking the time to write this!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome Carmen! I'm glad it helped! You're totally right, I forgot to mention the brand of my riding boots. They are Arturo Chiang and I actually found them at TJ Maxx last season for 1/2 off retail price! I love them! But really I think you could get away with any brand name of riding boot if you can find one that had a slit like I mentioned. Frye makes really adorable, really good quality riding boots. Steve Madden also does. Good luck! :) (sorry if there are any typos here, ps. I'm typing on my phone)
ReplyDeleteI'm also a fellow skinny-calver and feel so much better knowing there are others out there! I bought a pair of tall Hunters on a whim because they were half price, but I regret it because they just don't look good. They're way too big in the calves and look ridiculous even with the wellie sock. I think I'll try and sell them. But thanks for mentioning the slim-Hunters, I'll look into them. Thanks for your post, I feel your pain!
ReplyDeleteI wish I had this problem. I have the opposite. ..crazy muscular calves with no working out :( it is difficult to find cute boots on this end of the spectrum so I semi relate
ReplyDeleteSam,
ReplyDeleteI have the same problem. Erika and I have talked about doing another post for those of us who were endowed with larger calves. I can tell you that I've had the best luck finding boots in extended sizes at DSW and online. Zappos has a great selection of stretchy boots and boots with an extra-wide shaft. I'm also finding that booties are my new best friend. -Tracey
Hi there! Thanks for this post, I too have a a skinny calf (about 31cm).
ReplyDeleteI'm really keen on buying a pair of slim fit hunter wellies but as another poster mentioned, I can't seem to find them anywhere - and I live in the UK! Are you able to direct me to the page where you bought yours, please? Would be super helpful.
Thanks so much :)
Hi Teena! I got my hunters at a store here in the states called Nordstrom Rack... Not sure if they have them in the UK or what the equivalent would be. Sorry! Another suggestion I have would be to maybe try a kids size? I wear a US size 6 and can sometimes fit into a large kids size... They generally have smaller legs so that might work for you too. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHi!
ReplyDeleteMy question is actually related to your jeans...I have really skinny calves and just bought a pair of hollister super skinny jeans and look horrible. They're way baggy in that area, I see your jeans fit super tight overall, where did you get them? or where do you usually get your jeans?
Thank you!!
Great question Lucero! I also struggle to find good jeans. I used to wear ONLY Hollister jeans in high school because they fit me the best, but when I graduated (a looong time ago), I'm pretty sure they changed their jeans because they just don't fit me well anymore. I haven't bought Hollister jeans since then.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, the pair I'm wearing in this post are the Rockstar Super Skinny Jeans from Old Navy. I actually own 3 pairs in different colors (the pair in this post, a pair of super dark, and a pair of floral printed) and I LOVE them. They fit perfectly, they have the perfect amount of stretch, and they're super affordable!
My favorite pair of brand name jeans, if that's what you're looking for, are Hudsons, J Brand, or Seven for All Mankind. If you want to/can spend the money on a more expensive pair of jeans, I'd go with any of those brands (also try their different versions of "super skinny")... they seem to fit the best! Good luck!! :)
-Erika
I had to comment because I only recently found my solution to the lifelong skinny (and short) calf problem. It is a UK brand of boots called DUO. Tailored boots custom fit to your calf size! Great for skinny and bigger calves alike. Best of all (for petites like me) is they will also list the shaft height, so you can know how high up your leg the boot will go. They are not cheap, but they do have great sales, especially after Christmas, so it's worth checking out. I now have two pair, and for tall boots I will probably never go anywhere else.
ReplyDelete