Monday, October 28, 2013

Pumpkin Muffins (Tracey's Muffin Musts)

Pumpkin Muffins

Up today: Pumpkin Muffins.  But not just any pumpkin muffin.  We are talking about:

"Oatmeal-Filled-Chocolate-Studded-Struesel-Topped-Bursting-With-Fall-Spices Pumpkin Muffins"


Do I have your attention? Good.

How have we not talked about muffins yet?!  (Also, am I the only person who giggles immaturely when I hear the word muffin? Just sayin.) I love muffins. However, there are a couple of rules that must be followed when making muffins. 

Tracey's 5 Rules of Muffin Making


1.  Muffins are essentially cupcakes for breakfast. In order to get away with this, you need to make sure there is at least one redeeming ingredient in said cupcakes muffins.  This can include: fiber, fruits, berries, nuts or vegetables. This recipe includes pumpkin (fruit) and oats (fiber). Check and check.

2.  Due to it's cupcake-like nature, it must contain something tasty and preferably sweet. Fruit or berries can fulfill this requirement or you can just throw caution to the wind and toss in some chocolate chips as I did with this recipe.

3. Struesel is highly-recommended. If there is any sort of berry involved, it is almost universally required. Crunchy, sweet topping?  Yes, please.

4. A muffin must be larger than your average cupcake. Again, if this think is going to be my breakfast (as it has been for the last four days) it better keep me full for a couple of hours.

5. Muffins should be served warm. I'm not saying make a fresh batch everyday (although I don't know why you couldn't . . . ) I'm just saying throw that little treasure in the microwave for 45 seconds to let it reach it's full potential. Also, warm muffins make your house smell good.  There is nothing more inviting for a house guest than the smell of warm baked goods. 


In my quest for the perfect pumpkin muffin I came across this great little recipe. However, I have rules so a couple of changes were required.  First up, it calls for raisins.  I am not a huge fan.  The movie "Benny & Joon" perfectly described this in a way my 14 year old mind could appreciate.

"They used to be fat and juicy and now they're twisted. They had their lives stolen. Well, they taste sweet, but really they're just humiliated grapes. I can't say I am a big supporter of the raisin council."

So, I added substituted chocolate chips.

Next, I went heavy on the oats.  It's breakfast people. Get your fiber. Also, since I love me some streusel, I tripled the amount required and increased the flour. Finally, I don't mess around with average sized muffins.  I used my large muffin tin and got exactly 12 beautiful muffins out of the batch.

So here you go my friends, the perfect Pumpkin Muffin. Keep this little gem in your back pocket for any time you need to feed people over the holidays. Halloween party?  Pumpkin Muffins.  Thanksgiving breakfast? Pumpkin Muffins.  Black Friday? Christmas Morning? New Years Day? Holiday Brunch with the church ladies?  PUMPKIN MUFFINS!

Enjoy!

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:41]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment