Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Thoughts on Fall

You guys! I know I've been MIA lately (let's all give Tracey a digital pat on the back and round of applause for all the posts she's posted in my absence—shower flowchart anyone? so good!), but I'm back and oh, what perfect timing. It's fall!! And I just love fall. But come now, who doesn't?

[caption id="attachment_2233" align="aligncenter" width="500"]october (image via Pinterest)[/caption]

How perfect is this saying? I've seen it floating around Pinterest, and I just love it. I've always loved fall, since as far back as I can remember. I spent a lot of my growing up years in places that don't really have a "fall" necessarily — Puerto Rico, where we went swimming in the ocean on Christmas Day; Arizona, where they have two seasons: hot and hottest; and South Africa, which has fall, but it's in March and April... hello, southern hemisphere! But I've always loved October. And here we are, yet again. October!

October! Because of the pumpkin (only, I just discovered that I love pumpkin last year when my in-laws dared me to try pumpkin pie, even though I tried it as an 8 year old and sure didn't like it then, but apparently my 25-year-old palette had changed a bit, and now onward with the pumpkin, because!), and all the other fall food that's making my mouth water just thinking about it, and the leaves changing (you don't get that in Arizona so much, or Puerto Rico, so onward with fall in Colorado and Utah!), and the cooler weather (again, not so much with that in South Africa), and the cute boots and the scarves and the sweaters and the jackets, and all the good TV shows back on TV (Scandal anyone? I mean, last season's cliffhanger ending was enough to leave me drooling! Can I get an "Amen"?), and the spice in the food and the smells, and the decorating for Halloween and eventually for Thanksgiving and for Christmas and anything else you may choose to celebrate! I love everything that fall stands for. Family and friends and celebration and warmth amidst the cold and joy and colorful.

Not to say that I don't love any other season. Mostly, I hate winter and what happens after New Years. But I always bid a very fond farewell to summers. Summers are definitely my favorite — with the sun and the heat and thunderstorms and the green everything, and summer has its own great food and smells and holidays and such. But, oh, with fall. It is with open arms that I welcome this time of year now. I had a wonderful summer, and I took all of September to say goodbye to it (I laid out as long as possible). But last week I bought some new boots and sweaters and so, welcome fall! Welcome, the memories of falls past the come to mind, and also welcome, the excitement of fall present and falls future where memories are just waiting to be made.

And also, not to give anything away prematurely, but we've got some pretty exciting fall stuff comin' up over in these parts. I mean, maybe the word "giveaway" has popped up a time or two.... So stay tuned to see what we've got comin'! (Speaking of cliffhangers....)

Let us know, what do you guys love about fall?

1 comment:

  1. Oh Erika - every year at this time I turn into a mean ole' witch. Not because it's Halloween, but because I am SO tired of summer, summer, and more summer. I've loved raising my kids in Arizona, but I need seasons in my life again. Your post outlined exactly some of the many reasons I love fall. It's the best time of the year. So I will live vicariously through my Utah and Colorado relatives until I can experience seasons again. Thank you for that!!!
    (btw - we all know I'm a mean ole' witch year round.)

    ReplyDelete