Mostly, I just wanted to show off our costume from this year. But then, when I couldn't think of a post title to put that humbly, I decided I liked the idea of sharing how I kept both costumes under $40.
So, if you couldn't guess from the picture above, this year, Kent and I were Woody and Jessie from Toy Story. Or as everyone at the church Halloween party said, "Woody and.... the girl cowboy... what's her name?" Jessie. For the record, I was Jessie. ; ) Unfortunately, we came in second in the costume contest to the man dressed as Mr. Monopoly. But, really, it was fair. I would've sworn on the snake in Kent's boot that the Mr. Monopoly legitimately scooted himself off the board game and into the cultural hall for the party. The costume was thaaat good. Don't pass go. Don't collect $200. Don't ever try to win a Halloween costume with this guy around.
As I was saying, Kent and I were Woody and Jessie, and our costumes were completely homemade. And they were completely homemade on a budget. Because, we have bills, people. I gathered up everything we had first. Jeans, belt, and 2 white t-shirts. Then, I went on a mission to find everything else. I started at Goodwill. (Because there's no DI in Colorado.) First, I searched for cowboy boots for Kent (I already had some for me), but they were $50. Even at Goodwill. Uhm, really? No. So, I had Kent ask around and he found a coworker who was kind enough to let him borrow a pair. Whew!
While at Goodwill, I found a cowgirl set in their Halloween section. Hat, belt and buckle, and lasso rope for $5. After Goodwill, I went to Walmart. There, I bought some white sweats for $6 and some fabric paint/markers for $12. Next, I went to Target and found a yellow men's shirt on clearance for $4. My next stop was a Halloween store where everything was 50% off. Yep. So, I bought another cowboy hat, a bandana, and a Sheriff's badge. It was $7 total.
My last stop was the dollar store, where I found a little toy gun for Woody to carry. $1.
Total = $35 (not including taxes)
When I got home, I cut the sweats into some chaps , then used my black fabric paint to put cow spots on them. I took the 2 white shirts and colored one with the markers to look like Jessie's shirt, and cut the other one into a vest and used the paint to put cow spots on that too. Allow to dry for 6-8 hours.
So, you have two costumes, one afternoon of bargain shopping, and one evening of painting/coloring. Half a day, $40, and a second-place Halloween costume for two ; )
Happy Halloween, y'all!
No comments:
Post a Comment