Saturday, August 10, 2013

5 Things I Learned from Couch to 5K

You might remember a couple of months ago when Sarah shared our Running Lists for Slowpokes. Remember how she talked me into doing Couch to 5K (C25K)?  What she didn't tell you is that I have started that darn program at least 5 times.  Seriously, 5 times. The first time was back in 2009 when my little guy was just a year old.  I actually made it through week 6. Then I quit.

shoes

But guess who didn't quit this time? Guess who is running (aka jogging - slowly) 30+ minutes at a time. Guess who is averaging about 2.5 miles per run? Oh, that would be me. Now, I just need to conquer that last .6 miles and a 5K will be in my grasp. (Oh, and transitioning from the treadmill to outside. That would be good too.) So in honor of my C25K graduation, I thought I would share a couple of things that I've learned during the process.

Things I Learned from Couch to 5K

1. Running is hard. I still kinda hate it. I know people say it gets easier. They also say there is some mythical beast called the "Runner's High". Yeah, haven't met it yet. I will say I love the results. I love the feeling of accomplishment that I feel when I'm done. I love the weight that I've lost. Most of all, I love the time it gives me to burn off anxiety, stress, energy or the Peanut Butter Faux Oreos that I just can't seem to resist. It makes me a better mother and wife. I'm more centered, more calm and I feel accomplished. While I'm never excited to actually run, I'm always excited for the experience.

2. You have to find your own pace. I think the biggest mistake I made in all of my other attempts was trying to go too fast too soon. About a year ago I picked up the book Run Your Butt Off!.  One of the things that it emphasizes is that when you are starting off, don't run any faster than you can walk. This made a huge difference for me. I slowed down and started concentrating on just lasting through all of my run segments. I have found that my speed has naturally increased along with my endurance.

3. Get the right shoes. Everyone says, "All you need is shoes to start running."  While I agree with this, I can tell you there is a HUGE difference when a running specialist helps you pick out the right shoes. The shoes I ran the program in were some that I picked out on my own. I had been fitted back in 2009 so I knew that I pronate and that I need neutral shoes. They worked. As a reward for finishing, I went back to be fitted again for a new pair. My new shoes are fantastic. During my most recent fitting, I also learned that your running shoes should be one size bigger than your normal size to allow for swelling in your feet. Also, don't forget about good socks. Synthetic fabrics are better for wicking away moisture.  Moisture = blisters.

4. Find gear that will help you accomplish your goals. For me, it is all about technology, tracking and results. I use a Fitbit every day to help me track my level of activity. Ben also bought me a Bluetooth heart rate monitor that works with my phone. I love knowing how many calories I'm burning.  Finally, if you are running outside, find an app that works for you. I'm still trying to find my favorite. So far Runkeeper might be my favorite.

5. Have a goal. Throughout this process my overall goal was to finish the program. Just finish it. That's it.

I also had daily goals.

  • Finish all of the intervals.

  • Jog for 5 minutes straight.

  • Jog for 10 minutes.

  • Jog a whole mile.

  • Jog 2 miles.


You see where I'm going.

Sam 1K

Now, my overall goal is for my family to run a race. In September, Austin has a Superhero Run. It benefits CASA, an organization that advocates for abused or neglected children. There is a 1K for kids and a 5K for adults. This morning we started a training program for our 5 yr old to run the 1K. Ben left us in the dust as he pushed our daughter in the stroller. My little running partner did 1.25 miles of 3 minutes walk/run intervals. I was so proud. Proud of him, proud of myself, and proud of the fact that my little family is focusing on building fitness habits that will benefit us for years to come.

 

3 comments:

  1. […] for me and something that I never thought I would be able to do. Earlier this summer I shared the things that I learned from Couch to 5K. Today, I thought I would share the things that I learned from my first […]

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] how Sarah talked me into doing Couch to 5K last spring?  Remember how I did it and then actually ran a 5k? Yeah, that was pretty big.  So big that I thought, “I ran a 5K. I have reached my running […]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know you can create short urls with Shortest and get $$$$ from every click on your short links.

    ReplyDelete