Listen, I love food. It's no secret. Eating and cooking are givens, of course, but I certainly don't stop there. Food history, food science, food lifestyles - it's fascinating. Also, I enjoy what might best be described as "food matchmaking"; listening to others tell about their cravings or dietary restrictions or favorite restaurant and being able to say, "Try this recipe," or "Go here, too!" It's not that I'm flawless at it, but I find it fun! I once overheard a friend say (lovingly), "She's totally indecisive until you ask her what you should eat, then she's all business." Hopefully an exaggeration, but perhaps not much of one...
So. With Tracey being awesome and meeting her running goals, (Go, Tracey!!!! I'm seriously so proud of her!) she talked about wanting to make some eating changes, too. Right now that means meeting certain caloric goals each day. And, as with most people adjusting to something new, she soon found herself on the hunt for recipes that worked with her goals.
Enter, me! While I'm not a registered dietitian by any stretch, I do my best to stay informed nutrition-wise. But really, it comes down to pretty simple stuff: Eat whole, plant-based foods in abundance, and add things like meats, dairy, oils, and processed starches in moderation. This approach guarantees filling, nutrient-dense meals with fewer calories than your "typical" American meal. Furthermore, I'm not really the type to exchange diet versions of ingredients in order to make a dish more "healthy". These things can work in a pinch to cut back on calories when you simply can't fight a craving, but I tend to like the idea of eating a small, reasonable amount of your not-so-healthy food, and rounding it out with plenty of vegetables and some fruit.
Plus there are tons of great recipes that are simple, inexpensive, and not "diet-y" at all, yet still manage to be great low-calorie options. I've collected some great ones, and I'll be sharing them in this new series. First up? Chicken Lettuce Wraps! So easy to make at home, and easily adaptable. I've changed Fitness Magazine's recipe slightly, including swapping cashews for almonds and taking out the snow peas and radishes for ease of preparation - but feel free to try the original version! Chop up green beans instead of snow peas, or add some shredded cabbage - whatever floats your boat!
[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:34]
No comments:
Post a Comment