Friday, August 30, 2013

Packing Tips for a Long Weekend Trip

Long Weekend Packing TipsSo, right now as this post posts itself, I am on a plane somewhere over Kentucky or maybe Mississippi. I don't know, actually. But I'd say that's as good a guess as any, since I'm going to be landing in Atlanta in about an hour. I am en route to Washington, D.C. for the long Labor Day weekend. I am going to visit my best friend from college (shout out to my ginger!) and I am oh so excited. Six days in our nation's capitol, just hangin' out and seein' the sites and doin' all sorts of best friend stuff.


So, in honor of what will be most people's last summer vacation of the year, I am writing this post on what I pack for the long Labor Day weekend. Because honestly, who doesn't need packing tips? Be prepared for epic. Or not. Whichever.



Packing Tips - Bottoms


Packing Tips - BottomsI always pack heavy. Always. I can't help it. "But what if I say I want to wear this now, but when I get there it's rainy or it's too sunny or it's windy or I just feel like wearing that instead?" You know? Because, I'm female. I just get to. Luckily, there are resources all over the internet that share great packing tips to help you slim down your suitcase.


That said, I am only packing 5 bottoms for 6 days. Wha?! I figure I can reuse one of the pair at least once. OK, actually. Not entirely true. I'm also taking a pair of jean shorts (not pictured), in case it really is too hot once I get there. Darn humidity. Anyway, I like to take a variety of bottoms. I always plan my outfits out for each day of a trip, because I'm OCD like that... but I like to be able to mix and match if I feel like it once I'm there. So, variety. Pair of blue jeans. Pair of white jeans. Pair of black jeans. Pair of khakis. Pair of printed leggings.



Packing Tips - Tops


Packing Tips - ShirtsSo I guess you can tell from these two pictures so far, but I'm all about neutrals. Black, white, khaki. I love mixing and matching these colors. Maybe it's bland. Maybe it's boring. But it's what I feel comfortable in, so by George, I'm gonna keep on keepin' on with it. As I said above, I like to have the option of mixing and matching outfits once I'm where I'm gettin' to, so I try to keep things pretty neutral as far as bottoms and tops go. I like to bring the staples with me. And then, I bring a lot of my jewelry and shoes (see below) to dress up those basics.



Packing Tips - Sweaters


Packing Tips - OuterwearListen. If you know me, you know I'm cold. I am always cold. Unless it's triple digits or I'm in direct sunlight, I'm probably cold. And, honestly, I hate being cold. It's my worst thing. SO, I always have some sort of outerwear with me. Even in the middle of summer. Because, the church building is cold. The restaurant is cold. The movie theater is cold. The night is cold. The dang airplane is fuh-reeeezing. Can you pick up what I'm layin' down? Therefore, on my trips, I pack sweaters. And cardigans. And even a jean jacket. I pack neutral of these items (surprise, surprise, I know), to go with my neutral clothes. Again, with the mixing and the matching. I'm a creature of habit, so sue me.



Packing Tips - Shoes


Packing Tips - ShoesAh, shoes! The one department I can NEVER go light in with the packing. You'll notice, 6 pairs of shoes. And yes, I did say I'm only gone for 6 days. I love options people. I don't pack many heels because this is a touristy vacation of sorts and I'll probably be walking, and honestly, I'm not much into heels anyway. Unless it's Sunday or unless I'm going to the Symphony. You know. I'm a flats type of gal. So, sandals, and flats, and converse, and ankle boots it is. In, you guess it, nuetral colors. And yes, leopard can be a neutral. Try it out, you probably won't be disappointed.


Accessories - I don't have a picture of these, but like I said above, I use my shoes and my accessories to dress up my "boring, plain, neutral" outfits. I pretty much bring as many accessories as I can. Necklaces, bracelets, watch, rings, earrings, scarfs. You get it I assume.

So, what do you guys take on your Labor Day long weekend trips? We'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment