I'll tell ya, for whatever reason, this danged post was so haaaaarrrrrrrd to write - in that "Ugh, I don't want to write this, whine whine whine, grumpy cat face procrastination" kinda way. So yes, it's coming to you later in the day, and it's a little messy, but that works, because it embodies the ideas I'm about to set forth.
Just do something. (Okay, "just do it" was taken, alright? As was "just keep swimming". Golly, this is not a new sentiment, is it?) And keep doing. Take a deep breath, quiet your fears (this step is optional sometimes, actually), and do something.
My example of the day? My friend Andrea, who had an idea, and rather than just bringing it up every few months with her friends and saying, "Gosh, wouldn't that be cool?" she went for it. Now, she has a patented design and a Kickstarter project (underway now! Check it out and donate!) and she's got more ideas and she is DOING.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wNkVtmEm2Ls
On a much less grand scale, doing for me is usually just getting my house clean. And I'm not saying that in some humorous, hyperbolic kind of way. No dears, that's quite literal. But this: If I think too much, it never gets done. Thinking is not action. I can plan and figure out the recommended ways and research homemade cleaning supplies and all that, but my house is still in the same state. But if I pick up a fruit snack wrapper off of the counter and put it in the trash, well hey, I've done something. The trick is to keep doing after that. Start small, sure, but don't stop. Eventually, things will fall into place.
"But!" you say. "But! You could be doing things inefficiently - wasting your time and energy!" Yeah. I agree. More times than not you won't be doing anything right at first, but I'll hazard a guess that in most instances, it's just as do-able to figure out those things along the way. This is about not over-complicating things, so if trying to figure out the best way to do something is preventing you from, you know, doing it, then it's time to set aside that dream of perfection, at least for now.
But most importantly, trust yourself on all of this. You're smarter than you give yourself credit for, you know? At least about things that pertain to you. Don't do something because it's going to get the approval of others and therefore validate you. That's not producing, that's taking. Do because you love it, do because you love somebody, do because you just want to try. And keep doing.
Way to go Andrea! So proud of you!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for giving us a shout out!! We really appreciate all the support we are seeing from friends and family! I so agree with you on just getting out there and doing it! Wether it's doing the dishes or starting a business, either way it's doing something and that is important. One of my favorite all time lines from a movie is "just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." Most days I am just trying to keep my head above water!
ReplyDelete