It's so sensory, that book. Not really overwrought, just rich - dripping! - with details. Upon learning that the movie rights had been purchased and a screenplay was in the works, I told Tracey that I wanted a movie mostly because it increased my chances of there being an actual Night Circus I can attend someday. I'll be among the first in line, with my red scarf tucked securely around my neck.
So yes, when the time came to actually plan the book club meeting, I got quite excited. All the food! (It's coming tomorrow, so check back.) The circus! The magic! I had so much fun pulling different great ideas from all over the web.
Thanks to a predetermined color scheme, I hit up my two favorite party supply sources for black and white wares: Smarty Had A Party and Hey Yo Yo. (A side note - I spend far too much time on both of these sites; I love them! Do you have a great party source that you use? Do tell.)
Black Tie Paper Plates (1), Black Stripe Favor Bags (2), and Inside Out Polka Dot Straws (3), all from Hey Yo Yo. Baroque Black Dessert Bowls (4) from Smarty Had A Party.
The Decor
Once Wed shows you how to hang strands of rock candy, perfect for an impromptu Ice Garden (1). Use this tutorial from Oh Happy Day to make your own "Le Cirque des Rêves" marquee (2). And what circus is complete without a tent? Delicious Reads has a great example of a simple one (3), and be sure to check out their post to see an enchanting party; you're sure to be envious.
The Ambiance
The circus is not complete without the little sensory details, and neither is yours! Light caramel-scented candles (1), and cast stars around the room (2). Want to get really extravagant? Have guests make wishes on a Wishing Tree (3), and start the night out right by having guests enter through a proper tunnel of lights (4). And don't forget the music! The author herself has created a playlist of songs that helped her write the book - that list is available here. Or if you prefer, create the illusion of being at the circus by playing this Sounds of the Carnival album.
And we haven't even scratched the surface! What parts of the book would you recreate for a party or book club?
No comments:
Post a Comment