Friday, May 17, 2013

Coconut Bread

This is THE BEST coconut bread you ever did eat. Probably, if I were you, I wouldn't even bother reading the little blurb that I'm about to type and just get straight to making this bread, STAT. But, I'm going to type my blurb anyway. Just in case. And because I need to give credit where credit is due.

This is not my recipe. I wish I could claim the genius behind it. But alas, this recipe was given to me by my mother. And she got it from my aunt. I have no idea where my aunt got it. (Aunt Vickie, if you're reading, thaaaaank you for this incredible recipe. Lives have been changed.) But I digress. One time, I made this recipe at my in-laws house while Tracey was visiting, and she ate an entire loaf by herself before I even got home from work. (OK, it was a mini-loaf, but still...)

The great thing about this bread is it's pretty simple. I mean, I can make it! And I can do it pretty well at that. That's saying quite a bit. I personally like baking it in two large bread pans, and letting the syrup drip allllll the way to bottom of the bread; if you use a fork to move the bread gently/slightly away from the side of the pan, the syrup just drizzles right to the bottom, and when it's dry, you have a wonderfully crisp, sugary-coated crust all the way around. It's just about the most delightful thing ever. But you could also bake it in a mini-loaf bread pan and get lots of mini loaves.  Either way, it's delicious!

And Tracey has taken it upon herself (bless her ever-lovin' heart) to add a little coconut whipped cream recipe to the side. If you're too lazy and impatient to wait for the syrup to dry, you can just dip your slice in the whipped cream/toasted coconut. I, myself, loove the syrup and think it's worth the wait, but either way would work. Hey, why not just do both—syrup and whipped cream! You seriously cannot go wrong with this recipe. We even came up with the idea that if you wanted to add some grilled pineapple to the side when you serve it, you'd have the perfect summery treat. And now, with all this talk of coconut and pineapple, excuse us while we book tickets to Hawaii.

IMG_7286 IMG_7304 IMG_7320[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:10]

3 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad you liked the coconut bread. I wish I could remember where I got the recipe from. Old age does that to you! If you like lemon, I have another sweet bread recipe with lemon syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie - As your niece-in-law-twice-removed (if Kent can claim you, I get to) I think I speak for the entire internet when I say, "YES!!! We would LOVE your bread with lemon syrup!" I'll even write you another Haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey - I love what you did with the coconut whipping cream. I double love the haiku! Clever girl! I'll send Erika the lemon bread recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as the coconut bread.

    ReplyDelete