That's how much we love it.
Since then, I have been raving to Sarah and Megan about the wonder known as Lucy's Fried Chicken. Then we came up with "Hey Megan!" Then people really liked "Hey Megan!". (Thank you Pieous!) Then Megan got famous. So tonight, Sarah, Megan and I all ventured (sans husbands and children) to Lucy's Fried Chicken.
The moment we pulled up, someone said, "Oh, this is so Austin." There is no higher compliment to be paid. While they have a small indoor dining room, their patio is where it is at. Fans stir the breeze as the clientele sit on wooden picnic benches and those awesome plastic chairs that we all remember from school. Whoever handles their graphic design does a fantastic job because just looking at their menu is fun. A typography dream come true.
Our service was fantastic. Kent, our waiter, automatically found a place in our hearts due to his name. Both Sarah and I have brothers named Kent. He was friendly, helpful and super attentive.
The actual menu itself is amazing. They specialize in chicken and oysters. Tonight we chose to stick with chicken because someone in our group (cough, cough, Megan) is a Boston girl and doesn't trust seafood outside of her beloved New England. Whatever.
Anywho. As we wanted to eat EVERYTHING on the menu, we finally decided on a small collection of things to sample. And by small, I mean all of this. For three women.
Basically we voted on everything we wanted to eat and then we narrowed it down. Sorry that the photo is a little blurry. I was afraid someone was going to start gnawing on my arm mistaking it for a piece of chicken.
So let's go in course order. At least, the order we would have eaten in had we not dove into this mass all at once.
Sarah started with the lemonade. This is some serious lemonade, people. Slightly fizzy with the sweet and the tart balanced just right. My sister had it when she was in town and I think my dad drank a good portion of her glass.
Next up, the appetizers. We chose to have the cornbread muffins (Megan's favorite) and the fried deviled eggs. Yup. I just said, "fried deviled eggs." I should also mention they come with a serving of bacon aioli. The cornbread muffins have bits of corn and pepper in them and they are heavenly. The deviled eggs are a fantastically over-the-top, southern, spicy surprise. The only problem is, after eating one, you seriously start to question the choices you are making in life. Maybe just stop at one. But enjoy that one because they are pretty tasty.
Next up are the sides. We ordered a selection.
We decided to go with the Mexican Cola Sweet Potatoes and the Crab-Boil Potato Salad. Both were good but the sweet potatoes came out the winner in the race. Whoever thought to put Mexican Cola in sweet potatoes deserves an award. They are sweet and gently mashed to the perfect texture. The cola doesn't over-power the potatoes; it adds just a little something special.
Our other two sides are technically entrees. We treated them as sides. I know — we are wild and crazy. On the left are the "Local Farm Vegetables". Our selection included fried green tomatoes, grilled kale, broccoli, okra and beets. Truth be told, I am not a huge veggie eater but I ate everything on that plate and enjoyed every single bite. The fried green tomatoes are done with the same batter used on the fried deviled eggs. They are served on top of a cream sauce (dill maybe?) that complimented the slightly spicy batter perfectly. The grilled kale was a lovely surprise. Even the okra was really good. And none of us really like okra.
On the right is the Macaroni and Cheese. Sarah said, "This is like Grandma's macaroni and cheese." It includes smoked cheddar, provolone and swiss. Then they top it with . . . are you ready . . . cornbread crumbs. I just died.
Finally, we come to the chicken. Here's the thing. I don't really love fried chicken. You heard me. I don't like the grease, it is hard to cook correctly, and I'm too lazy to deal with the bones when I eat it. But this fried chicken makes my heart sing. The breading is perfect. Never greasy. It is crunchy and flavorful and it stays properly adhered to the chicken. The chicken itself is perfectly cooked and moist throughout. Also, thanks to the first waiter I ever had there, I learned that honey mixed with hot sauce is the best way to eat it. I will never eat it any other way. If you aren't a huge fried chicken fan, give Lucy's a shot. They may just convert you.
Finally, let's talk about the pie. We had the hot chocolate pie and the lime pie. The chocolate pie is basically chocolate ganache in a pie crust topped with a toasted marshmallow and whipped cream. Heavenly and rich. The lime pie is my favorite. I am a connoisseur of key-lime pie and this particular version might very well be my favorite. It is creamy and limey without being too tart. I can eat an entire slice without succumbing to heartburn. That is saying something.
In conclusion, Megan and Sarah really enjoyed their dinner and I earned additional food credibility. Sarah says, "Come for the chicken. Stay for the sides — especially the vegetable plate." Megan said, "Where are we going next?" I say, "I can't move." But before I roll myself off to bed . . .
Things you need to know.
Address: 2218 College Ave, Austin, TX 78704
Cost: $$ (Our check was about $70 before tip.)
Food: Perfect home-style cooking with a bit of flair.
Kid Friendly: Yes, although running around the patio may be tempting for some. However, this place is super casual so I wouldn't worry too much.
Pepsi or Coke?: Coke. But no Diet Dr. Pepper. Bummer.
Contact: http://lucysfriedchicken.com/
Note: As with everything in the South Congress area, parking is limited.
Stinkin' Dad drinking my lemonade and eating more than his fair share of chicken! I think I need to come back to Texas and eat at Lucy's again... Mmm, so good.
ReplyDeleteYou definitely had my mouth watering with this post. I must give this place a try!
ReplyDeleteI could eat that chocolate pie over and over again!!! Yum! And everything else--well I think the devil egg was a one time experience.
ReplyDeleteThanks~! We found lots of yummy places to eat in Dallas but none in Austin. Also you should post if you find any good food trucks, I heard there are lots of food trucks somewhere there...
ReplyDelete