Friday, April 19, 2013

My Love/Hate Relationship with Cupcakes. And a Killer Recipe for Cinnamon Toast Cupcakes

[caption id="attachment_166" align="aligncenter" width="1650"]Cinnamon Toast Cupcakes Cinnamon Toast Cupcakes[/caption]

 

So.  I love cupcakes.  As in luuuuuurve them. I love to bake them.  I love to eat them.  I love to invent new types.  I love to share them.  There is nothing that makes me happier than a moist piece of cake lovingly topped with delicious frosting.

So here is the rub: I hate buying cupcakes.

Reason number one?  Honestly, I feel that, while delicious, they are too often -- dare I say it? -- inferior to what come out of my oven. I am not a master baker, though I'm probably above average when it compared to the home cook.  I won't be competing on the Food Network any time soon -- and I'm definitely not qualified to have my own bakery -- but I am more than qualified to take treats to my son's school, a church gathering or even a baby shower.  When planning family gatherings, I am the girl they put in charge of dessert. However, I am also a girl who has zero self-control, so if I see a cute little pastry calling my name from the bakery case, I'll probably buy it.

Which brings me to my second reason: I hate the idea of spending $3.50 on a single cupcake when I can make 24 for almost the same price.  It makes me crazy.  But I don't always need 24 cupcakes.  In fact, I NEVER need 24 cupcakes sitting on my counter.  Ever. What is a girl in love to do?

I'll tell you. I give them away.  Usually to my blogeague Sarah.  People always appreciate a good cupcake.  It makes them feel loved.  Sugar heals all wounds.  Fluffy cake lifts your spirits.  Frosting coats you in the warm affection of the baker.



Aaaaannnnnnddd sometimes if you ask the bakery ladies at the grocery store they will sell you the cupcake plastic containers.  Tie some ribbon on it and you've just upped your cuteness factor by at least 50%. Trust me.  People will be impressed.  Only the two of us need to know that your creative packaging was provided by the sweet ladies of Walmart.

But maybe you're saying to yourself, "Yeah, Tracey.  Whatever.  I don't bake."

Stop it.  Can you turn on an oven?  Can you dump ingredients into a bowl?  Can you use one of your limbs or a kitchen appliance to stir?  You can totally make cupcakes and you are going to save yourself some money in the process.  Plus, you are going to loved by your friends and neighbors. Win-win peeps.

"But I don't have a recipe," you say.

As the Good Fairy of Lazy Cupcakes I hereby bestow upon you the easiest cupcake recipe ever.

Now go.  Bake!  Share your sugar-laden love with the world.

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:2]

 

1 comment:

  1. [...] congratulations! You’ve just determined that this post isn’t for you.  Head on over to Tracey’s great cupcake rant and make yourself some Cinnamon Toast Cupcakes, [...]

    ReplyDelete