Monday, April 15, 2013

Ask Your Sister-in-Law. Mom's Dinner Rolls

[caption id="attachment_107" align="aligncenter" width="3000"]Easy "One-Hour" Dinner Rolls.  However, if you are lazy and use a bread machine like me, they are going to take longer than an hour. Easy "One-Hour" Dinner Rolls. However, if you are lazy and use a bread machine like me, they are going to take longer than an hour.[/caption]

There are many reasons I am glad that my brother Kent married Erika. Some of my siblings would say it is because we weren't sure anyone else would take him. Aside from that, Erika always makes me feel like a success in the kitchen. In fact, when I proposed the idea of this blog to her, she responded by saying, "I will do it, especially if YOU are doing the cooking." Periodically, I receive text messages from her regarding cooking or recipes. As we discussed what we wanted from our blog, we decided we should have a feature called "Ask Your Sister-in-Law." So here we go . . .

Like it is for many families, ham is an Easter tradition for us. Since most of us live away from our parents, we each make our own ham. Ham means Mom's rolls. After Easter dinner was over, both my mom and I asked Kent and Erika about dinner. When my mom asked Kent about the rolls he replied, "I'm not supposed to talk about them." Erika later informed me they tasted good but didn't look quite right.

Enter cooking with yeast.

First of all, if your yeast is bad you are out of luck. Sorry dudes. Make sure your yeast is fresh. Erika's yeast was freshly purchased so I asked her about water.

The recipe calls for "warm water." Unbeknownst to Erika, yeast can be kind of finicky. When the recipe calls for "warm water", you actually she actually need the water to be between 105° F–115° F (41° C–46° C) in order to bloom. Basically, if you are dissolving yeast in water that is cooler than this, it's not going to work. If it is hotter, the water will kill the yeast.

If you are lazy, like most of the women in my family, just use your bread machine and the water temperature isn't going to matter too much.

So without further ado, I present to you "Mom's One-Hour Dinner Rolls."  Keep in mind that even after years of making them, they still aren't as good as Mom's. However, they're getting close.

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:1]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment