Saturday, April 27, 2013

Cinco De Mayo Recetas, parte uno: Horchata Milkshakes

Top viewOne of the best things about the month of May is Cinco De Mayo.

Cinco De Mayo = Mexican Food.

And I love me some Mexican Food. I ate it at least three times a week when I was pregnant with my oldest.  When the hubs told me he got a job in Texas, I nearly wept with happiness. I knew that I was moving to a place that would fulfill my culinary needs.

So, in honor of my favorite holiday — that I don't really celebrate — we will be sharing Mexican-esque recipes. As always, we are completely unqualified. However, Sarah and I call Texas home and Erika claims Arizona.  That, and the fact that we frequent Mexican restaurants, well, frequently, should count for something.  Maybe.


One might think we would start with a recipe for an appetizer. We don't really roll that way.  We are going to start with dessert—more specifically, a milkshake inspired by one of our favorite Latin American beverages: horchata.

Mmmmmmmm.



Horchata varies from country to country but for our purposes, we are going to use the rice version. It is a beverage that is made from blending rice and water.  After blending, it sits for a couple of hours. Then you strain it and add your flavoring, usually cinnamon and vanilla.  I'm not going to lie: I've never actually made horchata, mostly because I can buy it at my local grocery store. Since some (if not most) of our readers may not have this luxury, here is a recipe. Go crazy.


[caption id="attachment_303" align="alignright" width="308"]Milkshake kids This is the part where I insert a gratuitous photo of our children. My son loves Sarah's daughter. They are the cutest milkshake sharing couple ever.[/caption]

But can you think of a better way to use horchata other than combining it with ice cream?

I didn't think so.

Neither could our children. They were practically hovering over our milkshake as I was prepping it for photos. It didn't take long for them to dive in once I was done. Little miss kept saying, "Treecee (Tracey), I have ice cream?  Treecee, I have ice cream?"  Obviously I'm not going to turn down those adorable little faces, so I took took the photos as fast as I could.

Then we had to plop in an extra straw so we could get this sweet little shot.  I'm totally saving this photo forever. Every time my son brings home a girl I don't like I'm going to "dust" this frame in while she's around.  When these two finally get married, I will proudly display a 20x30 canvas of this photo at their reception.  It will be perfect.

But I digress. Here's the recipe for the milkshake orchata. Be sure to join us over the next couple of days for our other Cinco De Mayo recipes. Hopefully you will enjoy them as much as we do.

Milkshake


 [amd-zlrecipe-recipe:3]

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. [...] about it?  Chances are on May 5th you will find us curled up in our pajamas sippin’ on some Horchata Milkshakes. (For real, if you haven’t made one yet, get on that. [...]

    ReplyDelete