Tuesday, December 3, 2013

What to Wear: Holiday Parties

I don't try to keep it a secret that this is my favorite time of year. The sights — snow and Christmas trees and twinkling lights and stores all decorated. The sounds — Christmas music and fires crackling and the noise of family gatherings. The smells — pine and cinnamon and nutmeg and hot chocolate and turkey and fire and pumpkin and cookies and breads and cakes and candies and spices. And all the feels — warm, soft sweaters and blankets and the way the pine tree crinkles in your fingers when you hang ornaments. And the tastes — oh, the tastes. Mostly the same as the smells, but in your mouth! Sweets and spices and turkey and pies and everything bad for you.

There really is just something about this season. When I was little and growing up, the best part of the season was the countdown to Christmas Day... knowing that one night soon, while I slept warm in my bed, the mysterious and elusive Santa Clause was going to visit my house and leave me toys! But, now that I'm older and the novelty and magic of Santa and the joy of toys on Christmas Day have worn off just ever so slightly, my favorite part of the season is each day of the countdown. I revel in each and every day leading up to Christmas. I try to make the days last as long as possible. I want as long as I can to stare at my Christmas tree. I want as long as possible to listen to Christmas music. I want as long as possible to smell Christmas smells and to taste Christmas tastes. And I want the holiday parties to last forever.

We all have different holiday parties and going-ons and what-have-yous this holiday season for which we will need to look our festive-best! Gatherings for work or church or school or family or friends. And why wouldn't we want to look just joyous? There's something magical about getting dressed up in the spirit of the holidays. There's just something about expressing our holiday joy through our clothing. So, if you're stuck on what to wear to your holiday parties this year, here are 10 outfits that just might help you out.

outfitguide


As I was putting these outfits together, I tried to keep in mind things that would make them specific to holiday parties. For example, all of these outfits are either slightly or significantly more on the dressy/formal side of things. I think that holiday parties are definitely something to get dressed up for. Try to steer clear of the casual looks. However, if you don't feel so comfortable in something quite so formal or fancy, some of the options I have here are a mix between casual and dressy... a perfect balance.

Keep in mind that when looking for things to wear to holiday parties, staying on trend can go a long way! I think holiday parties are a good chance to splurge on something you wouldn't normally pay for, something that you wouldn't normally wear. If there's a trend that you like but wouldn't normally otherwise try to pull off (maybe because it's "too out there" or "it wouldn't look good on me"), give it a try at your holiday parties! Odds are, you're going to look great. Some of this year's trends that I'm particularly loving for holiday parties — and that you'll see repeated in the 10 outfits below — are plaids, metallics, leathers, brocade and tartan prints, and sequins.

Of course, you have your holiday classics too. Like lace, all things sparkly, and standard holiday colors such as deep reds and blues and greens and purples, and always black, gold and silver. I'm also a huge fan of winter whites, always.


outfit1


In this first outfit, I paired a leather top with some black jeans. The jeans make it feel more casual, but when you remember the leather shirt and add some metallic pumps, it brings just the right amount of fancy to this outfit.

shirt // hudson jeans // pumps // clutch // necklace


outfit2


I am seriously obsessed with this outfit. It just screams "holiday parties" to me. The brocade, floral print of the skirt, that has a metallic sheen to it, paired with the metallic sweater. The deep teal from the clutch that matches the skirt perfectly. And the adorable t-strap pumps to tie everything together. Of course, you can always add your own jewelry or even a pair of black tights (if you are prone to coldness like me)!

sweater // skirt // clutch // pumps


outfit3


I've gotta be honest... I wasn't too thrilled with the tartan print when I first saw it starting to trend a little bit ago. It isn't entirely my style. However, as I started thinking about holiday parties and how to dress for them, I realized that the tartan print is just about perfect for that kind of a setting. I mean, red and green stripes? You really can't look more like Christmas joy. For this outfit, I paired the on-trend tartan-print sweater with some leather pants... which is just about as casual as I'd say you should go for holiday parties. But when you pair it with these amazing red suede pumps, you've got the perfect amount of holiday-party fancy. Tie it all together with some gold accessories and a red clutch.

sweater // pants // pumps // bracelet // clutch


outfit4


Is there a print more adorable than polka dots? I submit that there is not. And when this polka dot sweater is paired with these super on-trend gold metallic pants, it makes for a perfect holiday party outfit. Also, I'm dying over these zip-up booties. Probably, these are being added to my Christmas wishlist as we speak.

sweater // 7FAM pants // booties // bracelet // earrings


outfit5


We have now moved into the dressier realm of our outfits. I love dresses and skirts for holiday parties. How perfect. And how cute is this little blue number with the bows? The tights, sparkly shoes, and silver accessories make this blue dress holiday perfect.

dress // tights // pumps // cuff // clutch


outfit6


This outfit has everything... all my requirements for holiday party dressing. It's dressy. It has the metallic trend and the classic lace. There are sparkly pumps. There are deep colors of gold and purple and shades of black. I would daresay you might not even need to add frosting (jewelry), but of course it wouldn't hurt! ; )

dress // pumps // clutch


outfit7


This outfit may seem a little light for some holiday parties, but I love it. You are likely to stand out in something like this, since everyone else will probably be wearing dark, wintery colors. I love the lace and I'm seriously obsessed with these shoes. As always, a little sparkle on your wrist to finish it off.

dress // pumps // bracelet


outfit8Something similar to this is actually what I'm planning on wearing to one of my holiday parties. I love the two-tone sequin skirt. It's super on-trend and so, so festive. I paired a plain, chiffon blouse in a deep purple (holiday colors!) since the skirt is the focal piece of this outfit.


blouse // skirt // booties // tights // necklace


outfit9


This outfit takes close to casual again. The plaid top — which is super trendy — could be pretty casual on its own, but when paired with the sequin pants and open-toe pump booties, you are definitely still on the fancy side of things and you'll be "just right" for your holiday parties.

shirt // pants // booties // bangles


outfit10


Now, what would a holiday party be without the classic LBD? Any little black dress will do! Pair with some classic, holiday-red pumps, the on-trend brocade clutch, and some gold jewelry for a timeless, holiday look.

dress // pumps // clutch // bangle


Honorable Mentions (items that aren't included above, but that I love and want to share with you anyway):

Lace Dress // Lace Tights // Statement Necklace // BCBGMAXAZRIA Red Dress // Black Pumps // Sequin Clutch // Crystal Earrings // Gold Metallic Clutch // Fendi Purple Suede Pumps // Maroon Dress // Black Sequin Skirt


We would LOVE to see what you guys end up wearing for your holiday parties. Add a picture of your outfits on Instagram with the hashtag #OUOholidaydress and we will be sure to feature some of you in a post of our own!

*This is not a sponsored post. Tracey introduced me to Rue La La the other day and I happen to be obsessed, which is why more than half of the items in these outfits come from that website.

1 comment:

  1. […] Remember when Erika put out the idea of pairing a tartan sweater and leather pants for your holiday party? […]

    ReplyDelete