Dear Lady in Seat 23F,
First of all let me start by saying thanks for not giving me the look of death when you noticed my family sitting behind you. I appreciate the fact that you didn't make any comments regarding our presence or expressing your hope that they would sleep through our flight. I realize that three and half hours with two kids five and under isn't super desirable on an early morning flight. I'm their mom and I don't relish the idea.
Lucky for you my kids are both great travelers. We drown them in treats and juice to keep their mouths occupied. We also bring six different electronic devices along to keep them entertained. We really do try as parents not to leave an impression on our fellow passengers. As part of our mission we do our darnedest to make sure they don't kick the seat in front of them. Just call us the "Feet Police".
However, when you, the lady with the neck pillow, decides to recline your seat, it makes my job even harder. Don't tell me you didn't notice that I was holding a 21 month year old directly behind you. I know you did. You aren't sleeping. I can tell because you're taking photos out the window of the plane. Do those few extra degrees really provide that much comfort? Because let me tell you, it makes a HUGE difference to the lady wrestling a squirmy toddler behind you.
I, for one, would like to propose a collective agreement among humanity to keep your seat upright on any flight that isn't a red eye. You aren't going to sleep comfortably. It's a plane. Your best bet is to sit next to the window and lean over. A reclined seat isn't going to help.
Be kind to the families sitting around you. Give the kids a chance to be good travelers before you make snap judgements. Chances are the parents were frazzled by the time they dropped off their baggage. We won't even talk about the nightmare known as security. We paid for our seats just like you and we probably paid even more in terms of our mental health. Believe me, if I could reasonably drive from Raleigh to Salt Lake City, I would. But I can't so we are in this together.
So do me a solid. Be kind, don't recline.
XOX,
Tracey
No comments:
Post a Comment